top of page
For Website-3.jpg

Completing the MPhys or PhD programme in Medical Physics at the University of Western Australia will provide you with a solid base to pursue a career in healthcare, and science, within hospitals, clinics, academic institutions and industry. You will develop the knowledge, understanding and practical insight that will enable you to help diagnose and treat disease using techniques such as nuclear medicine, MRI, CT scanners, computer technology, and radiation therapy.

Currently, 97% of the Medical Physics graduates have been employed (and/or continued to study) within three months of graduation.

An MPhys in Medical Physics from UWA indicates to the employers that the applicant has a broad knowledge base, high quality research experience and the relevant skills required to bring value to their institution. Links with teaching hospitals enhance the credibility of UWA graduates and helps them establish their reputation as contributors to essential research projects.

Some of the career options available to a UWA Medical Physics graduate include:

  • Medical Physics Registrar (Training position to become specialist clinical medical physicist)

Since the UWA MPhy (Medical Physics) program is accredited by the ACPSEM , it provides students with the relevant knowledge and problem-solving skills suitable for entry into the ACPSEM Training, Education and Accreditation Program (TEAP) in radiation oncology, diagnostic radiology or nuclear medicine. TEAP positions are paid positions and competitive. The accepted applicant will be in a registrar role for 3 to 5 years to become a qualified clinical medical physicist specialist

  • Research and Development

Positions may be available at tertiary education institutions or private scientific companies as researchers. Opportunities may be available for further study (PhD) or postdoctoral research positions.

Academic positions may open in university settings for PhD graduates as lecturers.

  • Radiation Safety Officers

There may be job opportunities in hospitals, clinics or industry (e.g. mining companies) as a radiation safety officer.

  • Government Bodies

As scientific officers or dosimetry officers (e.g. at ARPANSA), or Radiation Safety Officers (e.g. at State Radiological Councils).

( Video courtesy of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists)
bottom of page